In the hours before surgery
• Do not put solids in your mouth after midnight. This includes gum, candy, lozenges, mints or
antacids. Failure to follow these instructions may cause cancellation of your procedure.
• Do not eat or drink anything after midnight.
• When you brush your teeth, rinse your mouth without swallowing.
• Do not use any tobacco products the day of your surgery.
• Shower or bathe to minimize the chance of infection.
• Do not wear make-up.
• If appropriate, bring insulin or your inhaler with you.
• Wear loose comfortable clothing to avoid pressure on your surgery site.
• Wear flat, preferably slip-on shoes.
• Jewelry is not allowed in the surgical room; please leave jewelry and valuables at home.
• If you wear contact lenses, bring your lens supplies and glasses.
• Bring relevant insurance information, including completed forms and your insurance or
• Arrange for someone to drive you home and stay with you for 24 hours.
• Bring a list of all medications you are currently taking. We will also ask you about any allergies you might have.
• For young children who are undergoing surgery, please bring a comforting toy, blanket, pacifier or bottle (for after surgery). For children under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian must sign a surgery consent form.